Rice and Beans...and premaking your spices

This post is brought to you by a busy working mama. A mama who tries her best to have homemade everything for her family, even on busy work days. And in doing that, I have to think of speedy ways to eat the healthy stuff.

My husband used to like to have a boxed rice and beans mixture for those nights when mama works late and we need something quick.  We really don't buy any prepackaged stuff, but I said whatever and occasionally bought it.  Until one day, I looked at the ingredients.  Yikes!  I don't even know what those words are!  If I'm going to eat junk, it must be in the form of dessert.

So, what is a busy mama to do when her husband's favorite staple needs to be eliminated?  Well, I decided that I should make a beans and rice seasoning package.  That way, I can cook the rice, throw in a can of beans and season it with already perfectly measured love.  So, that's just what I did.  Super easy and super healthy for us.  The verdict?  "Hon, this is AWESOME!  I never want to eat that boxed stuff again."  Success.

And you know what else is grand?  Burritos. Quesidillas stuffed with rice.  Just a dish topped with salsa and sour cream.  You can also use the pre-made spice packages to flavor meats for grilling.  I've also made an Italian spice pack that I shall be sharing in the future too.  These seriously have made flavorful cooking speedy.





Rice and Beans Spice Pack

3T minced Onion
2T salt
1T cumin
1T sugar
1T garlic powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp ground red pepper

Mix and store in a jar.
 And how to make the rice and beans.  I often make a double batch.

Rice and Beans

1 cup brown rice, cooked
1 can of your favorite beans, drained and rinsed (pinto, black, red)
2 T of lemon juice
1 T of olive oil
1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley (optional)
Add as much seasoning mix as you'd like. Start with a tablespoon, mix and taste.  If you're like us and you like extra spicy, you'll use a lot.  Extra salt to taste

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Just made this dish with one slight change. Quick, easy and delicious! Had it with a side of baby cukes cut up. My one change was that I used cilantro instead of parsley as that was what I had on hand. The seasoning mixture was tasty and easy to make. Good vegan dish.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...