Danish Chocolate Orange Cookies

 Growing up, one of the traditions I used to look forward to was actually a gift from a family friend.  There was this little red tin, shaped like a train, that we'd use and return every year.  It was the highlight of December when it would come back to us, filled with delicious goodness of dozens of misc. bites of perfection.   They must have tirelessly baked and baked the amazing set of holiday treasures.  Each sample better than the last.  Fast forward to recent times, even though it's been years and I now live states away from my hometown, I still would think about the contents of that little red tin every Christmas.  What to do?  Bug the baker until she folds...and sends me those recipes!  One day, the most delightful Email came to me, with 19 attachments.  Those attachments were those infamous recipes!  I now have the tools to build my own box of Christmas delights.  And I have permission to share the collection with you. 

These cookies are oh so good.  My mouth waters just looking at them.  Yum! I've listed my condensed version of the recipe below.


Danish Chocolate Orange Cookies 
from Old World Favorites, page 22

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 T grated orange peel
1/2 tsp orange extract (or I've used 1 T of orange juice instead)
1 1/2 cup flour

1) Mix above ingredients in sequence. 
2) Refrigerate for an hour.
3) I used a cookie press to make these cookies.  Or I'd recommend with floured hands, roll into 2inch logs, placing on cookie sheet and squishing with a fork.
4) Place on a greased cookie sheet, bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes.
5) Cool.
6) Melt 4 ounces of semi sweet or dark chocolate. 
7) Dip end of cookie in chocolate, dip in sprinkles (optional), let cool on wax paper.

Word to the wise, if you married the cookie monster, you may want to make a double batch.
Or if you married cookie monster and birthed a miniature cookie monster, a triple batch may be more appropriate.  You wouldn't believe how quickly this triple batch disappeared!



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...