Knitting...

I tried knitting once before.  Hated it. Although totally functional and I still wear it, the scarf I made was a bit wider on one side compared to the other.  I decided knitting wasn't my thing, gave up and donated the supplies. I'd much prefer the sewing machine. I even refused all of the knitting/crocheting stuff from both of my grandmothers' houses when we cleaned them out, for I declared I'm not a knitter.  
 
Well, I decided I wanted to try again. Sometimes my little one plays by himself happily.  Sometimes he insists that I sit on the floor with him.  He likes me close by.  Sometimes he likes to play with me, sometimes he just likes to do his own thing with his mama in sight.  He checks in with a hug, kiss and a pat on my back (he's turned into a super love bug). I can't really do big sewing projects on the floor in the playroom.  Right now I am working on a project that I will reveal in upcoming months...hopefully.  When that's done, I'm going to give knitting a try, again.  Wish me luck!  I'll post my failures....and hopefully some successes too.
 
Instead of grumbling that I am again purchasing supplies I had a while back, I set out to the thrift shops, in search of something that would get me started.

I was in luck!!!  I found the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework, needles, two scans of yarn, and a knitted hat....just in case my ambition turns into failure. All for $6.00.

And I have a rave for you.  That book, Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework is AWESOME!!!  The copyright is 1979...but who cares?!  If you do embriodery, do needlepoint, quilt, knit, crochet, make rugs, etc etc etc...you might want this. If you don't know what you're doing and want to learn, you want this.  Even if you are super duper skilled, you will still learn something.  
 
I also have a rave about the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing, copyright 1976.  I've had this book for years.  My mom got it from her mom as a Christmas gift in 1978.  It teaches you how do so anything and everything with a sewing machine.  I used this in particular to teach myself how to make clothes. 

Fantastic books.  I highly recommend getting them.  You can get them used on amazon for just a few bucks. Do it!  Some books are just timeless.

Oh, and here's the scarf I made. At least I think this is the one. 






2 comments:

  1. I am so so so so so so super excited. I LOVE knitting and I think you will too. Or I certainly hope you will. If not, kudos for trying it again. If you need any pointers I'll help. (Although I'm not all that advanced despite having been a knitter for a-hem twenty plus years.)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently decided to teach myself to knit :-) I remember reading about your Readers Digest Sewing book - I would love to try to teach myself how to sew! I've been crocheting for a while, but wanted to try something new. It always excites me to try a new project. Even if I have to take it apart a few times - yes, I too am an anal perfectionist ;-) Best of luck on your new adventure!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...